The Volunteer Fire Assistance Program is administered by the Mississippi Forestry Commission through an agreement with the USDA Forest Service.
This is a 50/50 matching grant; however, the match portion will be covered by the Mississippi Forestry Commission. To be eligible for this grant, the fire department must provide the latitude and longitude of your primary station’s location and provide a digital or paper map clearly delineating the department’s protection boundaries
This program provides grants to eligible fire departments for the purchase of wildland firefighting equipment, approved items include:
- Tanks, pumps, hose (up to 1.5”), hose reels, hose fittings, nozzles
- Slip-on units, complete (tanks, pump, hose, etc.) for converting trucks to pumper units. (If complete unit is more than $4,500, itemize the components.)
- Communication equipment (two-way radios) with statewide firefighting frequency and “pagers”with tone alert and audio receivers.
- Hand tools (back-pack pumps, fire axes, drip torches, fire flaps, etc.)
- Wildland protective items for firefighters (Nomex shirts, pants, jumpsuits, wildland helmets,boots, gloves, etc.)
VFA Grant Application
For more information about the Volunteer Fire Assistance Program, contact:
T. Keith Beatty
MFC Rural Fire Assistance Coordinator