2020 Prescribed Burning Short Course Sessions
June 16-18, 2020 – Cancelled due to COVID-19
Southern Regional Fire Training Center
September 15-17, 2020 – Postponed to COVID-19
Hilton Garden Inn
Registration Maximum Capacity – 40 student
Cost: $250.00 per participant
About the Prescribed Burning Short Course
Three times per year, the Mississippi Forestry Commission offers the Prescribed Burning Short Course. The Prescribed Burning Short Course is open to the public and designed for anyone wishing to become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in Mississippi.
Upon completion of the Prescribed Burning Short Course, participants will qualify to take the Mississippi Certified Prescribed Burn Manager exam on the last day of the course.
During the workshop participants will be introduced to several aspects of Prescribed Burning. Participants do not conduct a Prescribed Burn during the workshop.
Prescribed Burning Short Course Requirements
To become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager through the Prescribed Burning Short Course participants must meet the following requirements:
- Write a Prescribed Burning Plan and present information on Smoke Screening.
- Pass the final exam with a score of 80 or higher on the last day of the course.
Once these requirements have been met, participants will be issued a certificate of completion.
The group will visit two sites at the end of the workshop and asked to write a Prescribed Burning Plan based on the information that they have learned during the course. It is important that attendees bring proper footwear for walking in a wooded area.
During this course, participants will learn:
- State laws regarding personal liability in applying a prescribed fire
- Benefits, limitations, and risk of applying prescribed fire
- Forest fuels and fuel classifications
- How weather and fuel moisture affect fire behavior
- A variety of ignition techniques
- Methods for managing smoke
- How to write a prescribed burning plan
- How to properly plan and execute a prescribed burn
Space for the workshop is limited, and registration is REQUIRED. Upon completion of the Prescribed Burning Short Course participants will qualify to take the Mississippi Certified Burn Manager exam on the last day of the course; Registered Foresters will earn CFE credit.
For additional information about the Prescribed Burning Short Course, contact: