The Mississippi Forestry Commission issues burning permits based on the daily fire weather forecast. Permits are required for any fire set for a recognized agricultural and/or forestry purpose.
Call the Mississippi Forestry Commission's Central Dispatch Number to request a burning permit:
Click here for a summary map of today's permit issuance allowance.
Be prepared to answer the following questions
- Type of burning (agriculture or forestry)
- Number of acres
- Forestry purpose (hazard reduction, control undesirable species, control disease, site prep, wildlife mgt or other)
- Landowner name
- Person responsible for fire
- Telephone number
- Location of property (40, section, township and range)
- Beginning / end date and time of fire
Minimum requirements for permit are 3.5 m/s transport wind speed and 500 meters mixing height OR 3.0 m/s transport wind speed and 890 meters mixing height.