Spring 2018 dates will be announced soon.
Space for the workshop is limited, and registration is REQUIRED. Upon completion of the Prescribed Burning Short Course you will earn 16 hours of CFE credit and will qualify to take the Mississippi Certified Prescribed Burn Manager exam on the last day of the course.
Twice annually, the Mississippi Forestry Commission offers the Prescribed Burning Short Course. The Prescribed Burning Short Course is open to the public and designed for anyone wishing to become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in Mississippi. Upon completion of the Prescribed Burning Short Course, participants will earn 16 hours of CFE credit and qualify to take the Mississippi Certified Prescribed Burn Manager exam on the last day of the course. Prescribed burning is one of the most efficient and cost-effective tools available to foresters and landowners in the Southeast for understory management, fuel reduction, site preparation, wildfire risk reduction, and wildlife habitat improvement. In the hands of a Certified Burn Manager, prescribed burning is a safe way to apply a natural process to manage forestland.
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(last day 9:00 a.m. - Noon)
During the workshop participants will be introduced to several aspects of Prescribed Burning. Participants do not conduct a Prescribed Burn during the workshop. The group will visit two sites at the end of the workshop and asked to write a Prescribed Burning Plan based on the information that they have learned during the course. It is important that attendees bring proper footwear for walking in a wooded area.
At the end of the Prescribed Burning Short Course participants will be qualified to take the Certified Prescribed Burn Manager Exam (offered on the last day of the course).
To become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager through the Prescribed Burning Short Course participants must meet the following requirements:
1. Write a Prescribed Burning Plan and present information on Smoke Screening.
2. Pass the final exam with a score of 80 or higher on the last day of the course.
Once these requirements have been met, participants will be issued a certificate of completion.
During this course, participants will learn:
• State laws regarding personal liability in applying a prescribed fire
• Benefits, limitations, and risk of applying prescribed fire
• Forest fuels and fuel classifications
• How weather and fuel moisture affect fire behavior
• A variety of ignition techniques
• Methods for managing smoke
• How to write a prescribed burning plan
• How to properly plan and execute a prescribed burn
$250.00 per participant
For more information, please contact: